Camps Bay - Cape Town
Click here for Camps Bay accommodation list
One of the trendiest and most popular areas near Cape Town.
It is renowned for its white sandy beaches fringed by palm trees and has a trendy nightlife. It is a popular residential suburb for locals. You can find a huge selection of luxury self-catering villas and apartments and bed & breakfasts and guest houses. Most properties offer a fantastic view of the Atlantic Ocean. and mountain and within close proximity to the shops, bars and restaurants which line the street across from the beach.Named after sailor, Frederick von Kamptz, Camps Bay was originally a farm set against the "the twelve great buttresses of the back of Table Mountain", better known as the Twelve Apostles.
Oudekraal is made up of a collection of tiny beaches sheltered amongst the boulders and a well established picnic area with lawns, Braais , covered seating areas with tables benches and public toilets. There is a small admittance fee.
Lui Bay (also known as Witsand) a popular dive site, in 1977 two scrap vessels (The Antipolis And Romelia) were being towed around the cape when there tow line broke in a storm. This caused both vessels to be ship wrecked on the beach of boulders. The hull of the Antipolis is now visible at low tide.
Koeel Bay has an African open-air curio market, that sells hand crafted items from all over Africa .
Bakoven gets it name because of a large rock just off-shore with what appears as oven door in its side. There are several sheltered coves located in Bakoven. There is a Sea rescue base stationed here and a popular swimming beach is off Beta Close.
Camps Bay Beach, awarded blue flag status in 2008 is the largest white sand beach in Camps Bay. There is a seasonal life guard station and toilets at the west end of the beach.
There are many beach front cafes and umbrellas and loungers are available to rent.
There are many restaurants situated along the beach front which are popular with visitors. You can view a list of restaurants here.
Why Cape Town > Visitors Information _ Eat out
The first residents of Camps Bay were the San (Hunter Gatherers) and the Goringqhaique, Khoi pastorates. When Jan van Riebeek established a refreshment station for the VOC (Dutch East India Company), the 12 Apostles were covered in forests with lion , leopard and antelope
In competition with the more recent settlers, the Gringqhaique lost their grazing lands on the south east slopes of Table Mountain and in 1657 were restricted to Camps Bay.
By 1713 the number of Gringqhaique population had been reduced by measles and smallpox. All that was left of their settlement was an old kraal (Oudekraal).
The area was then granted to John Lodewyk Wernich and passed from father to son. Johan Wernich married Anna Koekemoer, who on his death in 1778, married Fredrick Ernst von Kamptz, a sailor and the area became known as “Die Baai van von Kamptz”.
For most of the 1800’s Camps Bay was undeveloped. Lord Charles Somerset used the area for hunting and used the Roundhouse as his lodge. Kloof Road was built in 1848 and in 1884 Thomas Bain was commissioned to build a road from Sea Point to Camps Bay using convict labour.
The road was completed in 1887 and named Victoria road to honour Queen Victoria’s jubilee in 1888. The road allowed people to cycle out to Camps Bay which had gained popularity as a picnic site. This led to the development, in 1901 of a Tram service to bring people out for the day and with it the development of the tidal pools, the Rotunda (now the Bay Hotel) and a pavilion for concerts and shows.
In 1913 Camps Bay was incorporated into Cape Town although it was still seen as a recreational area rather than a residential area.
Camps Bay Police
Camps Bay Police: Victoria Road, opposite the Camps Bay swimming pool. Tel (021) 438 5804.
map source http://www.openstreetmap.org